All CPN operations are in locations and communities with urban progress and lifestyles suitable for shopping center business operations, not only blessed with suitable provincial economic and purchasing power, but also with local entrepreneurs. Therefore, CPN and Central Group are committed to the development of communities, society, and the country’s wellbeing and driving of economic growth. CPN’s goal is serving as the “community center”, engaging in business to ease negative impacts on communities and improve the community quality of life as well as promoting the pride of local traditions, identities, and cultures.
Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Executive Vice President of Business Development and Project Construction and Senior Executive Vice President of Operations are responsible for developing into community center according to their corresponding jobs. The Corporate Governance and Sustainable Development (CG-SD) Committee and Executive Committee oversee and follow up overall performance.
The Head of Department of Corporate Social Responsibility Special Activity directs and follows up every project under the Center for Communities concept to ensure that it is effective and serves public interests. CPN collaborates with the Central Group’s Office of Policy Management for Corporate Relations and CSR, the manager of Tiang Chirathivat Foundation, and Environmental Foundation in setting the single operational direction under the supervision and monitoring of the Executive Vice President of Operations and Marketing.
1. Reducing the impact on communities and the environment
- Management to reduce traffic impact
For all developing before construction projects, CPN held meetings with concerned agencies, representatives of the civil society (local and provincial) on traffic plans for public and private vehicles together with traffic management in front of the projects to prepare for busy traffic after a project launch and try to reduce impacts of heavy traffic. CPN incorporated the facilitation of customers and adjacent communities into the operating plans of the Operation Department which is to be improved each year in accordance with the travel behavior of consumers.
- Management to reduce environment impact
In addition to community relations teams’ looking after impacts on the lives of nearby communities through the construction period, CPN prepared EIAs (Environmental Impact Assessment Reports) as required by the law to study and forecast impacts from project development on the environment (positive and negative) and take preventive and corrective actions. CPN applied the ISO 14000 standard to each project environment and the neighborhood, especially impacts of garbage and waste water
2. Building relationships with the community
1) Building design by incorporating vernacular architecture
CPN defines practices in architectural structure design and decoration both inside and outside the building by bringing the unique culture, traditions and indigenous heritage of the local community or at the provincial level to apply to modern, distinctive and unique identities. To demonstrate the company’s true intentions to be a part of the community to grow and distribute good local products in a wide range.
2) Support in non-monetary ways, including
- Construction of buildings for public benefit for communities such as pedestrian bridges, walk way bridges, prototype public bathroom, central park and river walk in Central Bangkok and others provinces.
- Free space allocation or special discounted prices to government agencies, educational institutions, civil society agencies and non-profit agencies in the exhibition, establishing a special area for public service including the setting up of donation boxes and support areas for blood donation.
- Cooperation with various non-profit organizations.
3) Donation to the community Charities
the related agencies that connect to the communities in which CPN operates including donations for education and donations to help victims of disaster.
4) CPN volunteer activities
which are activities that CPN allows employees to spend hours working on volunteer activities to help support and participate with communities in promoting social, cultural and environmental aspects. In addition, CPN has provided opportunities for employees to participate in more activities by proposing volunteer activities that they and their fellow employees are interested in If the proposal is approved, the company will give money to support the operation including joining with the personnel of the Central Group to carry out the Centrality project to jointly create activities in the form of shared value for the surrounding communities or within the province where the project is located.
3. Community Development
CPN intends to be a part of the community. Create pride for the community by managing and organizing marketing activities to be the center of the city being the center of local business and the center of life focusing on collaborating with government agencies and civil society to create marketing activities that reflect and encourage local people to be proud of the city’s identity and create a community market mechanism to strengthen the local economy. In addition, CPN has cooperated with government agencies and new generation farmers and local wisdom in organizing agricultural markets to help farmers who suffer from surplus agricultural products.
CPN under the cooperation with the Central Group has jointly developed the local economy and distribute income to farmers with guidelines for operations as follows:
- People development - through the foundation Thiang Chirathivat with Walailak University, Nakhon Sri Thammarat in sustainable farmer’s career development by promoting knowledge in product development, packaging design, and technology for the development of biological substances to inhibit fungi in agricultural crops directly by instructors and university personnel.
- Product development and distribution channels – by supporting and developing operational activities throughout the value chain of product production to product sales.
- Development of communities - It focuses on the development of education which is the foundation of society under the “Central Project, Commitment to develop education and CPN Cultivate Thai Wisdom” by building and improving the school building.
CPN set goals for marketing activities to promote provincial values and identities to make its shopping complexes living and community centers to promote pride for locals and promote provincial tourism, while indirectly increasing revenue for communities. In addition, CPN's collaborated with Central Group, Tiang Chirathivat Foundation and business partners in developing and strengthening communities. The internal process and community development direction have been constantly improved to align with communities' basic needs, skills and capabilities, accordance with UN Sustainability Development goals. For example:
- Education: Developed Learning Centers in schools and communities in remote areas and border-patrol police schools under the Growing Thai Wisdom Project.
- Environment: CPN joined together with the Central Group under the project “Central Green” and “Central Tham”
- Strengthened the local economy by holding “Our Community Products” fair, which encouraged local communities to produce and sell products via the Central Group’s distribution channels. CPN also offered them free venues to hold marketing promotional activities.